HOT HOP COFFEE

Good news, hop heads! I discovered (for myself, as Im sure its been done a million times over) a way to get your hop fix in the morning without the risk of being labeled as an alcoholic! I call it, HOFFEE. Its like coffee, but with a smack of hops to it! Do you love hops? Do you sometimes have fantasies of waking up to a nice fresh double IPA? If so, read on, because this is for you!



STEP 1 - MAKE SOME COFFEE

Use whatever you like best. I use the organic Guatemalan stuff from my local hippie mart. Any kind will do.

STEP 2 - PUT SOME HOPS IN A TEA THINGY

Get about a tablespoon of some hops (I used Fuggles), and stick em in a tea strainer.
There's nothing quite like the smell of coffee and hops in the morning.

STEP 3 - POUR SOME COFFEE!

Grab your pot and pour that sweet nectar of life over your hops.
Remember that standard hopping rules apply! The longer you let them steep, the more bitter they will become.

STEP 4 - HOFFEE TIME

Drink up!
I found that if I drank it too early, it just tasted like regular tea and coffee. Around the 7 minute mark I had some awesome hop flavor, and by the end of the cup it was lots of bitterness, which I actually really liked.

Next time Im gonna try multiple additions... this is fun. Maybe stick some in my coffee "mash," or "first wort" in the coffee pot?! And I have already come up with the idea of brewing iced coffee almost like beer... multiple additions, chill, dry hop. 

This rules! Try it out! GOOD MORNING AND PEACE!

5 Response to "HOT HOP COFFEE"

  1. Mike says:

    Funny you mention the tea flavor. I find that both Fuggles and Kent Goldings have great tea leaf notes to them. My recent English Ales have plenty of both (along with Maris Otter grains). One of my favorite things about beer to this day is drinking my wort...kind of a nice beer tea.

    Bryan says:

    Ah, nice, Ive always wanted to try chilling wort and drinking it. So sweet!

    Yea I used Fuggles because it was the most mellow I had in the fridge. Tomorrow morning Im gonna try an Amarillo/Cascade mix, cant wait.

    Eric says:

    Lol, I would have never thought of that. That is perfect. I love hops, cant get enough of them. But I would have never in a 100 years thought to put some in my beer. I am definitely going to try this in the near future. Thx for the idea.

    Bryan says:

    Ha, awesome, no prob man!

    I never thought to use hops in my beer either - definitely not in 100 years. Maybe that's why my homebrew sucks...

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes | Converted by BloggerTheme